Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

So What's It About?



These new embroidered works will explore opposites and duality, landscape and travel, both literally and figuratively. I will create islands or continents, imaginary places born of things that I experienced in reality. As I intuitively build abstract compositions with needle and thread, I will contemplate ideas of internal and external landscapes as well as maps, all based on actual travel and also emotional or metaphysical travel.

satellite images of places I have been
Greece, France, Belgium, Britain, Italy, Iceland

I am working with white to reference the snow of Iceland, honesty, and the beginning of something new. I am using an embroidered knot for its inherent texture, pattern, and layering possibilities, to reference lichen and other similar Icelandic plant life, and to symbolize the act of not forgetting. I am using only one type of stitch, the Colonial knot, as a way to focus and add to the meditative or contemplative process.




This is what I am able articulate at this early stage in the process. As I work each day, the meaning will become more clear to me and I will be sure to share it with you.

To chart the first week's progress, please visit Flickr. I have posted images from each day of week one and next week I will add more.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: